Monday 31 December 2018

2019 - What is coming up

Happy New Year to all my blog readers, old and new!

2019 marks another interesting year for the London Underground and transport in general for London. I have also devised a 'bucket list' of transport related things I want to do or celebrate in 2019.

1) Use a Class 345 train
The central core of Crossrail (the Elizabeth line) is due to open in Autumn this year. Liverpool Street to Shenfield and Paddington to Heathrow sections of Crossrail are already operational under the banner of TfL Rail. Crossrail will operate using the new Class 345 trains, and although the first Class 345 train entered in service on 22 June 2017 on TfL Rail, I still have not used a Class 345. By the end of the year, all trains will be nine cars in length. Each train is capable of carrying up to 1,500 passengers and nine car trains are 205m long, nearly twice as long as the 108m long as the 1973 stock on the Piccadilly line or 1995 stock on the Northern line. So my first task on my bucket list is to use a Class 345 train.



2) 150 years of the Metropolitan District Railway
24 December 2018 marked the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Metropolitan District Railway between South Kensington and Westminster, which is now the District line. TfL have plans throughout 2019 to celebrate the history of the District line. I will try and attend as many of these events as I can, as well as marking my own celebrations of the District line. I still need to visit nine of the 60 stations on the line. Some of the stations I need to visit include Kensington (Olympia), Upminster and Elm Park.



3) 40 years of the Jubilee line
The Jubilee line is one of just two lines that I have visited every station, the other line being the Waterloo & City line. The Jubilee line officially opened on 30 April 1979 by the Prince of Wales, with passenger services starting on 1 May 1979. In the Spring I will ride the entire length of the Jubilee line and explain why I am really fond of the line. Also, later on in 2019 will mark 20 years since the Jubilee line extended from Charing Cross (the Jubilee line platforms here are now abandoned but used as a film set) to Stratford.





4) Visit the Epping Ongar Railway
In September 1994, London Underground withdrew services at Ongar and North Weald stations. An additional stop between these two stations, Blake Hall, closed in 1981. However, you can still ride between Ongar and Epping Forest (a few hundred metres from Epping station), with a stop at North Weald. The Epping Ongar heritage railway is open most weekends during the summer, and you can catch a heritage bus from Epping station. 2019 also marks 70 years of London Underground services at Epping and Debden.


5) Visit South Greenford
With just 26,502 passengers between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2018, South Greenford is currently the least used railway station in London. South Greenford is situated on the Greenford branch line and is operated by Great Western Railway. The branch is served by one train that goes back and forth providing a train every half an hour in both directions.

6) 10 years of Woolwich Arsenal DLR
In January 2009, the Docklands Light Railway extended from King George V to Woolwich Arsenal. The DLR services officially opened on 12 January 2009. Due to the river Thames, DLR trains from Woolwich Arsenal depart in an eastbound direction. Although I am a predominantly a London Underground enthusiast, I do enjoy spending time riding on the DLR. I have visited 27 of the 45 DLR stations, in 2019 I will continue to visit more stations, including Woolwich Arsenal. 





7) Visit the trams
Although I have visited every London Underground south of the river Thames (just 27), I still have not visited the Tramlink that serves Croydon and other areas of South London. Comprising of 39 stations and 28km of track, Tramlink began operation in 2000. It has been something I have wanted to do for a while. In May 2017 when I visited stations on the Wimbledon branch, I nearly caught a tram but I decided to also do the Richmond branch in the same day. In 2019 it is a goal to use a Tramlink.





2019 will be another exciting year for my blog and transport in London in general. I have seven tasks to look forward to this year, as well as continuing to visit all 270 London Underground stations - I have currently visited 206. If you can think of any other exciting transport events coming up in 2019 or have a challenge for me to complete, please do not hesitate to get in touch! My twitter is @tubespottingdan or please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment